Follow me....

...as a VSO volunteer in Dhaka.

Now read on.

Saturday 4 February 2012

First few days....

I've sort-of been writing this in my notebook having been too busy to struggle with the internet. All those problems now solved thank goodness. So here is my diary for the first few days....

Dhaka 26th

I was a mere child. I knew nothing. Coming from the airport in order: the pollution; the people; the traffic; the driving (!!!); the people; the people; the begging; the dust; the pollution. But despite the immediate and stunning assault on the senses there is something about the place, it’s so alive.

Friday Dhaka 27th

I have a shocking head cold, my nose is streaming and anti-social but it’s 22 degrees. It’s also Friday and therefore the Sunday equivalent so we’re being broken in quietly. We could walk down the dusty streets of this apparently quite middle-class area without having to jump out of the way of the cycle rickshaws and cars. As foreigners we attract a lot of attention. Bangladesh has very little tourism so our mixed group of British, Ugandans, a Sri Lankan, a Philippino and a Chinese man really stopped the traffic. This must be what celebrities experience – people stopping and staring, commenting and taking photos.


Here's a photo of me not quite getting the hang of this scarf business.


 Saturday Dhaka 28th – Mohamadpur market

My first rickshaw trip. Goodness that was scary. Not because they are dangerous in themselves, but because I am sooooo tall and big. Those seats, which slope down towards the driver/cyclist by the way, were made for the tiny, slim Bangladeshis. Once I’d got over feeling sorry for the poor driver and I had wedged myself into place it was fun. Definitely an eco-friendly mode of transport while feeding the poor at the same time. Good market too, but more of that later.

2 comments:

  1. I can smell the smells and hear the racket from your post - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete